Mathematics at Headlands
White Rose Maths teaching resources are used throughout school enabling a consistent approach in all lessons. They have been designed to support the aims and objectives of the National Curriculum and adhere to the Teaching for Mastery vision of 'Challenge and opportunity to deepen understanding of the key mathematical ideas for all children'.
White Rose Maths schemes of learning:
- have number at their heart. A large proportion of time is spent reinforcing number to build competency.
- ensure teachers stay in the required key stage and support the ideal amount of depth before breadth.
- ensure that pupils have the opportunity to stay together as they work through the schemes as a group.
- provide plenty of opportunities to build reasoning and problem solving elements into the curriculum.
Maths Curriculum Maps Years 1-6
White Rose Maths Curriculum Progression Document
Teaching for Mastery
What does a teaching for mastery approach look like?
- Teachers hold and share the belief that all pupils will achieve
- Task differentiation and challenge is provided by depth not acceleration
- Lessons foster deep conceptual understanding
- Practice of procedures is intelligent and builds fluency
- Teacher questioning informs prompt intervention